Come let us reason together
Over and over I have yearned to be a real woman. The vision to reason together with the rest of the women around the world is my daily meditation. Remember, although we have the same voice, our stories are different.
There are women with stories based on personal experience, some just hear and then tell out, some see and also tell out but, how much has it taken one to discover why there is overwhelming women outcry or why our voices have time and over been ignored?
Recently we sat in one of our women group in the district of Jinja and we discussed some of the barriers that limit us from being attended to or heard and these include;
• Misconception: Society tend to refer to women as subordinates right from our homes, place of work and even Church or Mosque. So we are racked as a second thought.
• Problematic: Our nature of being humble tends to cause society to analyze us as being fearful. That we can easily be compromised
• Coward; that we fear to get involved in issues that tend to have risks.
• Lazy. That we cannot act fast which tend to cause backwardness and also to lose out on the dot com world.
• Culture; in Africa traditional setting, we women are not supposed to talk in public. So most of us grown under that mood. Therefore convincing to adopt the required standards is a menace.
In fact thank you pulse wire because we normally share stories posted amongst ourselves. This has indeed helped us and the above barriers are being eliminated using the methodology of awareness.
We have so far embarked on awareness campaign to know our rights and how much we can positively contribute to the society.
We look at economic, social and political spheres.
For example we identified the most vulnerable women by creating hope. We now engage them in activities of income generating, counseling, health care, and education. We have a vibrant group of Female Refugees from Rwanda, Burundi and Democratic Republic of Cong who are settled at Nabulagala suburb in Kampala. Issues of trauma, sexual harassment, drug abuse, child abuse are being handled. We have introduced the girl child education, Adult literacy as well as music, dance and drama. Indeed this has attracted attention to leaders to brow a leaf.
So being a voice of the pulse correspondence will be a great deal. I believe we shall be able to share experiences and fill the gaps that have exposed us (women) to risks. Infact did you know that the high rates of HIV/AIDS privelance among the women is caused due to lack of sharing or no where to disclose our voices. Therefore many of us suffer or even die silently.
My objective is therefore to stand out and create a lasting generation of women