MISS OLOJEDE HELEN(PATOFTROY) Web 2.0 Redefined
Write a 500 word or less article that describes:
What most excites you about Web 2.0
Web 2.0 to me is one of the new technological dimensions of communication in the world today. It is radically different from the traditional means of communication like the Print media where information is one-sided i.e. flowing from one way. And also the audio-visuals, where communication, interaction and information are highly limited It is against this background that Web 2.0 poses a real exciting experience. Web 2.0 moves some steps from the traditional means of sharing information to a more interesting level of not just sharing of information but also interaction among women of like minds, who is trying to fight and advocate for a common course. By creating this therefore, it brings about a platform where women can share their vision, mission and harness resources for social change.
Web 2.0 creates a technological and global community of people all over the world to register their voices and more importantly connect as they share life experiences. Another exciting aspect to Web 2.0 is the technique and simplicity of usage of the web to share information and communicate with other people. Simply put, the introduction of citizen journalist i.e. people without professional journalism training making use of the internet is a really fascinating thing. It is a very good innovation to have introduced the citizen journalism, because if this had not been, it would have posed a great challenge to people who do not have experience in journalism.
Furthermore, I find the Web 2.0 more exciting because it is strictly for the womenfolk, with permission however for the men to comment. This bit is very much unlike most social networks that are always for every interested individual. Being a platform for women to socialise, it is also a very educative and enlightening medium of improving and advocating for the course of women from different walks of life and geographical background.
The statistics on the participation of women in the affairs in the world is most commendable to the researcher and the crew of VOF. It gingers the zeal in me to work harder in my own little way to see that women have more representation in public life and that our voices are more heard, and to also stand up against gender stereotypes and male chauvinism. The thoughtfulness of the crew of VOF is most fascinating as they made efforts to explain those relevant terms
The experiences of Halima Rahma shared is particularly touching and invigorates the knowledge that more work need to be done in the area of re-orientating people against harmful traditional practice especially the ones that bothers on women like the female genital mutilation. Furthermore, the examples of what is possible for citizen journalist and community organisers using Web 2.0 is really inspiring and is setting me thinking already about what I will embark on to affect lives and effect change.
Web 2.0 provides a good learning experience and introduction and it is just timely as a way of enabling women interact and share information on circumstances that pertains to them.
What solutions you think Web 2.0 brings to the global women's empowerment movement;
1. It brings about the solution of hearing the voices, and sharing of experiences of large number of women from different geographical locations and cultural background on social issues that bothers on women defying the constraint of time and distance
2. The solution of distance and its difficulties in communication
3. Improving the lot of women through training and interactions among them, and making them share diverse experiences.
4. Another solution is that you can reach the other person in a very short time
5. It is a place where you can learn with ease even within the confines of your room and you still have experts as guide
6. Being a social network site and women only, one could make friends freely; it gives one the confidence that one is not alone in ones predicament because you could always share even life issues.
7. It gives the opportunity of practising the journalist profession on another level and even in a more sophisticated manner. Journalism as a profession is redefined through Web 2.0
How is it already, or how will it be empowering for you?
1. It is already empowering in that I am making new friends, meeting new people, reading people’s profile and comments. With this I have an idea of what the other person in a different environment feels about a particular issue, thereby broadening my horizon and perspective.
2. In doing this assignment, reading the materials and answering the questions, I have learnt a great deal and even make me to be looking forward to future assignments and hopefully the real training as well.
3. I look forward to being empowered as a citizen journalist, writing, educating and effecting social change on social issues that pertain to women.
4. With the tip of the ice berg have had with answering this assignment, I look forward to being empowered the more in my writing skills, internet communication skills and networking
5. I further hope to be empowered the more on issues that bother on women and possible ways of tackling such issues.
6. Also to be empowered through doing the assignment with the materials and networking.
7. To partake in the mentoring session and sharing with the grassroot women leader as a way of improving my self
8. I strongly hope to selected for the training as I look forward to a great learning and practical experience to be used to better my present engagements and organisations on women issues.