Minutes 4/11 PotoFanm media subgroup call
(WORD VERSION ATTACHED)
Present: Alice B, A-C d'A, Ann R, Jade F, Michèle S
Absent: Martha W, Janet F, Carla M
OVER-ALL LENS: Gender mainstreaming
Training in citizen media tools
3. Information Hub
4. Advocacy i.e Forums, campaigns
o we need targeted measured objectives
o skill set is more in grassroots and movement building
+ giving folks tools to continue mobilization in their community
+ b/c strong network knowledge of other groups and ppl working on the ground
o v. being a conduit for more influence on decision makers
o Media project = info going from haiti to haiti and from women's groups to other parties
o => actual reporting, info gathering and centralization of info should be #1 goal b/c harder for grassroots groups to do
* our role is to be supportive of grassroots groups rather than building grassroots
* diaspora women's mvt needs to be strengthened
* haitian women's groups seek support/help to get theor voices out
o would welcome getting training
o Global Girl Training (journalism training)
* hub with advocacy collective that gathers news and disseminates and works in partnership with groups on the ground to strengthen their media projects
* Skillsets in PMRH:
o social networking
o print journalism
o martha: using media as advocacy tool
o relationship with WP
* Parts of site will be static to highlight Haitian women's groups or haitian advocacy media
* Site will not just look like a news site
* action point: create news feed for keywords: women, haiti, earthquake
* action point: feed for haitian women bloggers and haitian women journalists
* Blog Talk Radio
o BlogTalkRadio allows anyone, anywhere the ability to host a live, Internet Talk Radio show, simply by using a telephone and a computer.
o Bantugroup citizen journalism via sms model (in beta for Africa) using something like Bubbly http://digital.venturebeat.com/2010/03/09/bubbly-bubble-motion/which sends blog feeds in audio to mobile. (Very BETA but Bantu Tech Group is willing to do demo.)
o NEED MORE INFO ABOUT
+ HAITIAN WOMEN RUN RADIO SHOWS IN HAITI (AC action point)
+ RADIO SHOWS CENTERED ON HAITIAN WOMEN (AC action point)
o Cinema anba zetwal - screenings all across the country with PSAs =>video used for advocacy?
* Blog - bubbly tech can be used to send to mobile via audio (see mobile bullet)
* Print - for global and for within Haiti
* Ning - we may need a social network either through World Pulse or through Ning
Action Point: Assessment needed - which of these tools make most sense? i.e.which tools for which goals?
Available Networks/ Potential Partners
* Aside from Iinternews, Global Voices, Carla Murply's blog - Where the Diaspora meets the Development Community, and Le Matin Journalist Watchdof group, WorldPulse can help us build site and online social network.
RESEARCH NEEDED (Let us know if you are taker)
* Need more data generally about Haitian women and media in Haiti, specifically radio
o Are there any recent studies?
o Who may keep statistics?
* Need more information about feasibility/desirability of using Haitian TV to broadcast our content