EMPOWERING RURAL YOUNG MOTHERS IN RIVERINE COMMUNITIES
Name of Organization: MOMS CLUB INTERNATIONAL NIGERIA
Vision: To make the world a better place for rural young mothers and children, a world free of violence and poverty.
Mission: To improve the quality of life of women and children especially women of child bearing age in rural communities through empowerment in order to utilize, indigenize and safeguard their potentials.
Studies have shown that, great majority of our women today in rural areas become economically dependent on their male counterpart and that is why a lot if them still don’t have access to certain services due to poverty and their dependency on their husbands
However, Moms Club international Nigeria a non governmental organisation that is focused on rural women (young mothers) developed an initiative tagged “MOMS INITIATIVE FOR POVERTY REDUCTION” the activities contained within this initiative have been designed to firstly empower women by promoting and encouraging rural self help group and build their organizational skills in managing association. The young mothers will further be trained to manage income generating activities.
This initiative has been used mostly in riverine communities in the South eastern part of Nigerian and we have succeeded in empowering 30 young mothers (15years- 35 years) from each of these communities without any external help. The initiative have gone a long way to improving on the revenue of these rural young mothers through assistance in the realization of income generating activities.
WHY TARGET RURAL YOUNG MOTHERS?
(1) Young mothers face a unique challenge with HIV/AIDS especially due to the Nigerian patriarchal system, therefore their economic empowerment will help them to fight against HIV/AIDS and empower them to take decision on their sexual right.
(2) The initiative will provide them with the information and opportunities to be active participants in all areas of the community development.
(3) Young mothers’ economic power is increased.
(4) Access to their reproductive health will be facilitated
(5) Their access to loan and inputs will be encouraged.
(6) Empowering young mothers in rural communities will reduce household poverty in the community.
Mrs Juliana Ngozi Okeke
Moms Club International Nigeria.