From access and participation to collaboration
I thought this was a good overview of the process to get the GWLN
participants engaged in the online community and eventually working
collaborative to solve problems. I particularly like the stepwise
representation. I know from my online classes that there is a
progression and it is important to provide structured activities to
walk newcomers through each step, until they "get it".
5 Stages from http://www.atimod.com/e-tivities/5stage.shtml
1. Access & Motivation - exploring the technology and access to it.
Winning the learner's trust, motivating participants
2. Socialisation - social processes and 'community building'
3. Information Exchange - exchanging information and performing
tasks, interaction with the course content and with other participants
and the moderator
4. Knowledge Construction - knowledge development, discussion
activities and group dynamics
5. Development - reflection and group learning