snow and scones
Scones are on the top of my list of baked goods. I've tried all sorts of recipes and this is the best. Yesterday my son and I made them together - the photo is of him rubbing the butter into the dry mix...It was snowy yesterday, but our tummies were full and warm!
preheat oven 400
Bake time ~ 13 - 20 min. (different ovens, different times) or until golden brown on top
1) in a small bowl beat 1 egg and 1/2 C sour cream (sometimes i use vanilla or plain yogurt) set asside
2) in am mixing bowl add the following:
2 C flour
1/3 C sugar
1tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
* you can add other yummy stuff too like cinnamon, cloves, nutmet, chocolate chips, dried fruit...you get the picture...at this time
3)Cut in one stick of butter (you can use marg. if needed) to make a dry mixture
I like to use my hands to do this part
4)add wet mix to dry and stir
do NOT add more liquid
5) roll into a ball, transfer to a baking sheet (greased or parchment paper)
6) flatten into a big circle about 3/4 inch thick and sprinkle w/ sugar (if you like)
7) cut into 8 wedges (i use a pizza cutter) space about an inch apart
9) while it is baking put a pot of coffee or tea, read a book/visit PulseWire for the remainder of bake time.
10) ENJOY with a child, spouse, friend or yourself!