World Pulse Voices of Our Future Official Rules
The World Pulse VOICES OF OUR FUTURE Program
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE ANY PARTICIPANT’S CHANCE OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
1. Contest Eligibility. The Voices of Our Future contest ("Contest") is open to all persons worldwide who are at least 18 years of age and have reached the age of majority in their state/country/province of residence as of the date of entry, except for persons residing in jurisdictions where the Contest is prohibited (collectively, "Ineligible Jurisdictions"). Persons located in an Ineligible Jurisdiction and/or entries originating from an Ineligible Jurisdiction are not eligible for and may not participate in the Contest.
Directors, officers and employees of World Pulse Media ("Sponsor"), or of its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners or advertising or promotion agencies, or of any manufacturers or distributors of any Contest materials, or any of the immediate family members (parents, children, siblings, spouse) or members of the household (whether related or not) of any such directors, officers or employees, are not eligible for the Contest. All applicable federal, state, provincial and local laws and regulations apply. The Contest is void where prohibited.
2. Contest Entry Procedure. To enter the Contest, each participant must visit the World Pulse website (http://www.worldpulse.com/pulsewire) ("Site") and click the button labeled "Join Now," to be directed to the login | registration page. Each participant must log in to his/her account on the Site, or if he/she is not currently registered with an account he/she must create a new account and complete a membership profile byApril 1, 2013. To create an account, each participant must provide a valid e-mail address. After each participant has created an account on the Site, or if he/she already has an account, he/she must join the Voices of Our Future Applicant Group ("VOF Applicant Group") on this page of the Site: (http://worldpulse.com/pulsewire/groups/63653) by April 1, 2013. Starting April 2, 2013, each participant must download instructions, learning materials and a set of four (4) essay assignments to complete, one per week from April 2 at 12:00 AM Pacific Time through April 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time ("Submission Phase 1"), all of which will be available on the Voices of Our Future Applicant Classroom Page on the Site. Each participant must complete each week's assignment and upload it to his/her PulseWire journal on the Site by April 9, 2013 (500 English words, maximum), April 16, 2013 (500 English words, maximum), April 23, 2013 (500 English words, maximum) and April 30, 2013 (700 English words, maximum), respectively to be eligible to win. Each participant is also encouraged to become an enthusiastic participant on the Site by posting to his/her journal, participating in any active campaigns, commenting on other members' journals, posting to the Resource Exchange or Sharing Solutions sections on the Site. After Submission Phase 1, thirty (30) participants (collectively, "Finalists") will be selected to participate in the online and telephonic six- (6-) month-long Voices of Our Future new media citizen journalism and empowerment training program ("VOF Program") based on the Judging Criteria (defined below).
Finalists will participate in the VOF Program from June 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM Pacific Time through October 28, 2013 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time, which will consist of five (5) learning modules (collectively, "Modules") ("Submission Phase 2"). The first three (3) Modules will provide a reading and writing assignment, the fourth (4th) Module will provide a reading and video or photo slide show assignment, and the fifth (5th) Module will provide a reading and outreach assignment. In each Module, each Finalist will also have the opportunity to participate in one of two (2) sessions of a conference call for the Finalists to discuss the Module's assignment. Each Finalist will be provided with a mentor from whom the Finalist will be entitled to receive three (3) mentoring sessions via phone, Skype or e-mail, and an editorial assistant to assist the Finalist with his or her writing skills and to help hone his or her unique voice. Each Finalist must complete each Module's assignment and upload it to his/her World Pulse journal on the Site by the following due dates: July 8, 2013 (1,000 English words, maximum), August 5, 2013 (1,500-2,000 English words, maximum), September 2, 2013 (700 English words, maximum), September 30, 2013 (two- (2-) – three- (3-) minute video or photo slide show), and October 28 (training five (5) people on how to sign up for the Site) respectively, to be eligible for the Grand Prize. After Submission Phase 2, three (3) Finalists (collectively, "Grand Prize Winners") will be selected to participate in a speaking tour in the U.S. in the fall of 2014 ("Speaking Tour") based on the Judging Criteria (defined below). Each Grand Prize Winner must be prepared to give an approximately fifteen- (15-) to thirty- (30-) minute speech he/she has written (with the assistance of Sponsor) at up to ten (10) speaking engagements during the Speaking Tour.
All entry information and assignment submissions (in any and all media) shall be collectively referred to herein as the "Entries," each an "Entry." Each Entry must be received by the applicable due date specified above; if any participant or Finalist fails to complete and submit any Entry on time and fully completed, in Sponsor's sole discretion, such participant or Finalist shall be disqualified. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or modify the Contest in the event an insufficient number of Entries are received that meet the eligibility requirements set forth in these Official Rules.
By entering, each participant warrants and represents the following with respect to each of his or her Entries: (a) participant is the sole author and exclusive owner of the Entry; (b) the Entry is participant's own creation, is 100% original and does not infringe or otherwise violate any right of any third party; (c) the Entry is truthful and not misleading in all respects; and (d) participant has the right to enter the Contest and to copy, display, perform, publish and otherwise use participant's Entry, and to permit Sponsor to copy, display, perform, publish and otherwise use participant's Entry, all without infringing or otherwise violating any right of any third party.
No automated entry devices and/or programs are permitted. All Entries become the sole and exclusive property of Sponsor and receipt of Entries will not be acknowledged nor will any Entries be returned. Only fully completed Entries are eligible. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor.
3. Start/End Dates.The Contest begins at 12:00 AM Pacific Time on Tuesday, April 2, 2013and ends at 11:59 PM Pacific Time on October 28, 2013 ("Contest Period"). Submission Phase 1 begins at 12:00 AM Pacific Time on Tuesday, April 2, 2013 and ends at 11:59 PM Pacific Time on April 30, 2013. Submission Phase 2 begins at 12:00 AM Pacific Time on June 10, 2013 and ends at 11:59 PM Pacific Time on October 28, 2013.
4. Contest Judging. All eligible Entries will be judged by a panel of selected Sponsor staff and volunteers who have the required knowledge and experience to apply the judging criteria (collectively, "Judges"). Judges reserve the right, in their sole and absolute discretion, to disqualify any Entry that they deem to be inappropriate, offensive or improper in their sole discretion. Entries written in languages other than English will be translated into English by Sponsor volunteers and/or online translation software prior to judging. English Entries are recommended but not required. Sponsor will not be responsible for any errors in the translation process and any such errors are at each participant’s sole risk. All Entries will be judged, and Finalists and Grand Prize Winners selected, based on the following equally-weighted judging criteria (“Judging Criteria”):
Expression of a positive vision for the future and solutions-oriented narrative.
Communication of personal experience (i) as an underrepresented voice in a community, nation or the world; (ii) living in a developing country or conflict zone; or (iii) facing discrimination on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, race or social class.
Contribution to Sponsor's mission and values to promote global issues through the eyes of women.
Demonstration of leadership on a personal, community, national or global level.
Subject to verification and compliance with these Official Rules, the thirty (30) participants with the highest scoring Entries in Submission Phase 1, based on the Judging Criteria outlined above, will be selected as Finalists on or about May 21, 2013. The three (3) Finalists with the highest scoring Entries in Submission Phase 2, based on the Judging Criteria outlined above, will be selected as Grand Prize Winners on or about November 30, 2013. In the event of a tie among participants and/or Finalists, the highest scoring Entry in the demonstration of leadership category, in the sole determination of the Judges, will break the tie.
By entering, each participant agrees to be bound by these official rules ("Official Rules") and the decisions of Sponsor and Judges, which will be final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest.
5. Prizes.Thirty (30) Finalist Prizes: Each Finalist will participate in the VOF Program, which will include:
* Training, via the Site and conference calls, in traditional journalism skills, citizen journalism and new media by renowned experts, including The Global Press Institute and The Op-Ed Project.
* Three (3) mentoring sessions via phone, Skype or e-mail from a mentor chosen by Sponsor.
Three (3) Grand Prizes: Each Grand Prize Winner will receive a ten- (10-) night trip for Grand Prize Winner to two (2) or three (3) major U.S. cities (as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion) to participate in the Speaking Tour (dates TBD in the fall of 2014) and give an approximately fifteen- (15-) to thirty- (30-) minute speech at up to ten (10) speaking engagements.
The Grand Prize trip includes round trip coach class airfare from a major airport nearest the Grand Prize Winner's residence to a major airport in the U.S. designated by Sponsor; accommodations at the private homes of hosts (to be assigned in Sponsor's discretion)or hotels; three (3) meals per day for each day Grand Prize Winner is in the U.S.; ground transportation to and from the Grand Prize Winner’s departure and arrival airports and each speaking engagement; and a thirty ($30) U.S. dollar per day stipend for travel days to/from the U.S.. Sponsor will provide Grand Prize Winners with application fee and a letter of support for any necessary U.S. visa. Grand Prize Winner is responsible for all other logistics, fees, transportation, hotel stays, etc. Additionally, all obligations in connection with obtaining a visa for travel related to the Grand Prize, other than the aforementioned application fee and letter of support, shall be the Grand Prize Winners' sole responsibility, and Sponsor is not liable if a visa cannot be obtained by a Grand Prize Winner. Approximate retail value of each Grand Prize: $10,000.00 USD. Actual value may vary depending on airfare fluctuations and distance between a Grand Prize Winner’s departure and destination locations. Grand Prize Winners will not receive the difference between actual and approximate retail value of the Grand Prize. Visas, taxes, meals, gratuities, travel upgrades and any other expenses not specifically listed herein are the sole responsibility of Grand Prize Winners. Sponsor is not liable for delays, cancellation or unforeseen events related to flights and/or other transportation. Grand Prize Winners will be solely responsible for obtaining valid identification relating to acceptance and use of the Grand Prize. Sponsor will not replace any lost, mutilated or stolen tickets, travel vouchers or other travel documents.
Total approximate retail value of all prizes combined: $150,000.00 USD. All prizes are non-transferable. No prize substitution or cash redemption is permitted. Finalists must be available between June 10, 2013 and October 28, 2013 to participate in the VOF Program (estimated time commitment is three (3) – four (4) hours per week). Grand Prize Winners must be available between approximately September 1, 2014 and October 31, 2014 to travel to the U.S. to participate in the Speaking Tour. In the case of unavailability of any prize, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. All unspecified expenses are the responsibility of Finalists and Grand Prize Winners (collectively, "Winners").
6. Notification.All Winners will be notified by e-mail. Finalists will be notified on or about May 21, 2013. Grand Prize Winners will be notified on or about November 30, 2013. To claim prizes, Winners will be required to agree to and accept all the terms of a Declaration of Eligibility, a Liability/Publicity Release and a rights transfer document, where legal, which may be provided to Winners via email, within two (2) weeks of prize notification. Additionally, Winners may be required to obtain releases from any and all third parties appearing and/or otherwise referenced in their respective Entries. If any Winner is considered a minor in his/her jurisdiction of residence, the Declaration of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and rights transfer documents must also be accepted by his/her parent or legal guardian. If a Winner cannot be contacted within one (1) week following Sponsor's first notification attempt, if a prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, if a Winner rejects his or her prize, or if a Winner fails to comply with all of these Official Rules, that Winner automatically will forfeit the prize and Sponsor may award the prize to the next best Entry as determined by the Judges according to the Judging Criteria. Upon prize forfeiture no compensation will be given.
7. Conditions. Sponsor shall not be liable or responsible in the event any Winner's Entry is not used on the Site or in future Sponsor communications or publications for any reason. Any and all expenses, costs, and federal, state, provincial and local taxes are the sole responsibility of the Winners. Participation in the Contest and acceptance of a prize constitutes each Winner's permission for Sponsor to use his/her name, address (city, state/province and country), likeness, photograph, voice, biographical information, Entry and/or statements regarding the Contest and/or Sponsor for advertising and promotional purposes without notice or additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. To the extent permitted by law, by participating in the Contest, each participant agrees to release and indemnify Sponsor and its advertising and promotion agencies, and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, agents, representatives, successors, assigns, directors, officers and employees (collectively, "Released Parties"), from any and all claims, actions, losses, harm, damages, injuries, liabilities, judgments, costs and expenses of every kind (collectively, "Claims"), including without limitation property damage, personal injury and/or death that may occur in connection with, preparation for, travel to or participation in the Contest, possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of any prize, participation in any Contest-related activity (including Claims relating to and/or arising from assignments (in any and all media), the VOF Applicant Group and/or Entries), and/or any Claims based on copyright infringement, trademark infringement, misappropriation, false association or endorsement, right of publicity, right of privacy, defamation, any other intellectual property-related cause of action and/or breach of contract. Participants who do not comply with these Official Rules, or attempt to interfere with the Contest in any way, shall be disqualified. Sponsor is not responsible if the Contest cannot take place or if any prize cannot be awarded due to any cause outside Sponsor’s reasonable control, including without limitation travel cancellations, delays or interruptions due to acts of God, acts of war, natural disasters, weather or acts of terrorism.
Content Ownership. Sponsor does not claim ownership of content any participant makes available through and/or for inclusion on the Site (including the VOF Applicant Group section of the Site). However, with respect to content any participant makes available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of the Site, including without limitation any and all Entries, each participant hereby grants to Sponsor the worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, irrevocable and fully sub-licensable right to distribute, reproduce, publish, publicly display, publicly perform, modify, adapt, translate, and otherwise use such content (in whole or in part), and to incorporate such content (in whole or in part) into other materials, in any format or medium now known or later developed, in Sponsor's sole discretion, without notice, payment, attribution or other obligation to such participant of any kind.
8. Additional Terms. Sponsor may edit any and all Entries, for any reason including length, clarity and content, all in its sole discretion. All applicable federal, state, provincial and local laws, regulations and rules apply. To the extent permitted by law, a Released Party is not responsible (a) if any prize is delayed or cannot be awarded because of any cause outside its reasonable control, including without limitation acts of God, acts of war, acts of terrorism, natural disasters and/or weather; (b) for any lost, misdirected, late, illegible, unintelligible, incomplete, invalid, technically corrupted or garbled Entries, all of which will be disqualified; and (c) for any human, technical, mechanical, electronic, technological, digital, hardware, software, telephone and/or other communications and/or Internet problems, errors, malfunctions and/or failures of any kind, any lost or unavailable network connections, any website, Internet and/or ISP delay or unavailability, any unauthorized human intervention, traffic congestion, incomplete and/or inaccurate capture of Entry information, and/or any delayed computer transmissions, all regardless of cause, that may limit, prevent or otherwise interfere with a participant’s ability to enter the Contest, including without limitation any injury or damage to a computer arising from downloading any content for and/or otherwise participating in the Contest.
Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, terminate, suspend, extend or otherwise modify the Contest if (d) an insufficient number of qualifying participants enter the Contest, and/or (e) bugs, computer viruses, unauthorized human intervention, fraud and/or other causes beyond Sponsor's control corrupt or otherwise adversely affect the administration, security, fairness and/or proper conduct of the Contest, all in Sponsor's sole discretion. In either case, Sponsor may select the Winners from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be tampering with the entry process and/or the operation of the Contest or Site.
If any participant does not comply in full with these Official Rules, attempts to interfere with or attempts to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest in any way (including without limitation by cheating, hacking, deception and/or any other unfair or improper practice), and/or attempts or otherwise intends to annoy, harass, threaten or abuse Sponsor, any other Released Party, and/or any Contest participant, such participant may be disqualified from the Contest, all in Sponsor's sole discretion.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY A PARTICIPANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY INTERNET SITE AND/OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. SHOULD A PARTICIPANT MAKE SUCH AN ATTEMPT, SPONSOR MAY SEEK DAMAGES FROM SUCH PARTICIPANT AND TAKE OTHER ADVERSARIAL ACTION AGAINST SUCH PARTICIPANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL ANY RELEASED PARTY BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL AND/OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF A PARTICIPANT’S ACCESS TO AND/OR PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST AND/OR SUCH PARTICIPANT’S DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING CONTENT DOWNLOADED FROM ANY INTERNET SITES ASSOCIATED WITH THE CONTEST. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE RELEASED PARTIES' TOTAL LIABILITY TO A PARTICIPANT FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES AND CAUSES OF ACTION EXCEED $10.00 U.S. DOLLARS. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, THE CONTEST AND ALL PRIZES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND/OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION AND/OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL AND/OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, AND/OR THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS AND/OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO EVERY PARTICIPANT. EACH PARTICIPANT SHOULD CHECK HIS/HER LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS AND/OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS AND/OR EXCLUSIONS.
Disputes: Except where prohibited by law: As a condition of participating in the Contest, participants agree that (a) any and all disputes between a participant and Sponsor, and/or any Claims arising out of or otherwise connected with the Contest (including without limitation relating to any prizes awarded and/or the determination of any Winners), that cannot be resolved informally, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively by arbitration pursuant to the then-effective commercial arbitration rules of the American Arbitration Association; (b) in any such dispute, under no circumstances will a participant be permitted to obtain an award for, and hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental and consequential damages, and/or any other damages, including attorneys' fees, other than participants' actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e., costs associated with entering the Contest), such out-of-pocket expenses not to exceed $10.00 U.S. dollars, and each participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased; and (c) any arbitration shall be conducted in the State of Oregon, in the City of Portland, County of Multnomah, and judgment on the arbitration award may be entered into any court having jurisdiction therein.
Governing Law and Jurisdiction: Except where prohibited by law, the Contest is governed by U.S. law and is subject to all applicable federal, state, provincial and local laws and regulations. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, and/or the rights and obligations of participants and the Released Parties in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Oregon, U.S.A., without giving effect to the conflict of laws rules thereof, and any matters or proceedings that are not subject to arbitration as set forth in these Official Rules and/or for entering any judgment on an arbitration award shall take place in the State of Oregon, in the City of Portland, County of Multnomah.
10. List of Winners. To obtain a physical list of Winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope by January 31, 2014 to: Voices of Our Future, World Pulse, SE Grand Ave, Suite 200, Portland, OR 97214, U.S.A. The list of thirty (30) Finalists will be made available online on the VOF Applicant Group page of the Site (http://worldpulse.com/pulsewire/groups/63732) by June 1, 2013. The list of three (3) Grand Prize Winners will be made available online on the Voices of Our Future Program Page (http://worldpulse.com/pulsewire/programs/voices-of-our-future-2013) by January 31, 2014.
11. Sponsor. World Pulse Media, 1006 SE Grand Ave, Suite 200, Portland, OR 97214.